Serving clients on the Eastside, in Seattle & throughout King County
Residential Real Estate Transactions
You've found what might be the perfect home - congratulations! Now, what about that paperwork? Have the documents been properly drawn up? Has the required information been disclosed? Do you understand everything there is to consider with respect to the way the documents have been drafted?
Is your real estate agent telling you everything you need to know in good faith? The buyer or seller? Are the 'comps' you're getting truly applicable to your property? What if you're selling and buying at the same time?
If you're getting that nagging feeling that you might not be getting all the information you need, you'll probably find it worthwhile to retain an attorney to represent you all of the way through the process - from listing to offer and acceptance to closing.
The legal fees for representation most purchase and sale transactions usually cost less than .02% of the transaction price. If you're going to invest several hundred thousand dollars on what could be the largest financial transaction you'll make in this lifetime, ask yourself if it makes sense to have someone that knows what to look for help to guide you through the transaction.
Providing Residential Real Estate Buyers and Sellers with the following legal services:
- Drafting of new Purchase and Sale agreements, addendums & disclosure documents
- Review of existing Purchase and Sale Agreements & related documentation
- Review and revisions to counteroffers and contract terminology
- Review and revisions to addendums and contract revisions made during escrow
- Mortgage loan and Good Faith Estimate documentation review for accuracy, errors & omissions
- Representation at escrow closing
- Resolution of judgments, garnishments and credit issues preventing mortgage loan approval
For homeowners that have purchased their homes in the past few years, I offer the following services:
- Analysis of closing documents for Truth In Lending Act violations
- Analysis of closing documents for Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act violations
- Analysis of transactional documentation for Broker, Agent and Appraisal issues
- Prosecution of residential mortgage fraud claims
Landlord-Tenant Actions: Claims and Defenses
If you're a current or former residential tenant in a house, apartment or condominium, and your landlord has committed any of the following acts that have directly affected you:
- Failed to return your security deposit without providing receipts for damages or valid reason(s)
- Failed to maintain your living spaces or common areas according to lawful standards
- Permitted or created unsafe or hazardous conditions in your living spaces or common areas
- Taken legal action against you for lease violations or breaking your lease
Please contact me at your earliest convenience for a complementary consultation* to learn what action(s) you may be legally entitled to take in order to protect yourself and your property.
If you're being sued, or the landlord has already obtained a judgment against you, I can often negotiate settlements at a fraction of the original claim in order to avoid wage or bank account garnishments.
Foreclosure and Mortgage Modification Assistance
It seems everyone is jumping on the "Foreclosure Rescue" and "Mortgage Modification" bandwagon these days. While there are some perfectly legitimate and highly ethical agencies performing this type of work, there's a much higher percentage of unscrupulous fraudsters offering to perform these types of services out there that you really need to avoid.
Too-good-to-be-true deals and mortgage modification 'guarantee' promises will likely end up being completely worthless. Often, the unethical scammers are out of business by the time I'm hired to contact them in order to try and obtain a refund for my previously defrauded client.
Before you employ anyone to pursue a mortgage modification for you, at the very least, review these documents:
U.S Treasury Brochure: Mortgage Modifications and Foreclosure Rescue Scams
Federal and State laws on mortgage mods are changing constantly these days. There are countless online resources you can visit to arm yourself with valuable information on this subject, including:
- The Dept. of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
- Office of The Attorney General in Olympia (Rob McKenna's office)
- Washington Dept. of Financial Institutions (DFI)
My policy is to strictly adhere to the procedures mandated through Washington's Department of Financial Institutions for attorneys and agencies that offer to perform mortgage modification services for consumers.
If you're having trouble paying one or more mortgage loans, let's talk about your present situation to see what options might be available to you.
Law Office of Fred Martens
Skype Subscribers: call 'fjmlaw' from your Skype phone
Mail Address: Law Office of Fred Martens P.O. Box 6416 Bellevue, WA 98008-6416
Office Address: Law Office of Fred Martens 14040 NE 8th St, Suite 211 Bellevue, WA 98007
* Please note: The purpose of a free consultation is not for the gratuitious dispensation of free legal advice. Unless there is a current representation agreement in existence between attorney and client, no legal advice can be given, or may be construed as legal advice. Consultations are available, time and existing client casework permitting, to assess your potential case in order to evaluate whether or not you have a viable course of action to take for recovery under the law.